Saturday 9 January 2016

Charity Shop Bargain




My latest charity shop haul included a Lifemax lamp, bought for £6. I thought it looked a bit like those hideously expensive craft lamps you see at quilt shows or possibly one of those S.A.D. lights. Either way it was a bargain. It looks as though buying one new is best part of  40 quid / $58!
It works and has been tested for safety. However, a quick look at Amazon puts a replacement bulb at around £11. I'll have to source a different supplier when the time comes.
It gives off a daylight type of brightness and, as such is ideal for use when sewing.
When I bought my current sewing machine, it had almost all the features I was looking for , but reviews pointed out that the light wasn't very good. I went with it anyway, but that one point remains a little disappointing, especially when spending hundreds of pounds.

 
I quite liked the book I read earlier in the week, so looked at my library's online catalogue to see if there was anything by the same author. The book above was available, but at another branch to my local one. I reserved it and in only two days, I had an email to say it was ready for collection. Aren't libraries brilliant? I don't think the service would be that fast if I'd ordered and paid for it from Amazon! It's simplistic to say that libraries are free - they are not, of course. However, unless they are used, the risk of even greater cuts is inevitable. I'm lucky to live in an area where this service is still very good. Although I do have to put up with unrepaired road surfaces full of potholes. I suppose you can't have everything.







1 comment:

  1. I also love my Library. I usually find most of the books I want even if I have to wait a while.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete