Monday 30 December 2013

The Birds

Look away now if you don't like seagulls!





The weekend before last  I went away to Chester. I was there by way of a favour and therefore most of the cost was picked up by a family member. Favour done, nice hotel, use of pool and spa - win, win all round!

Anyone who's been to Chester will know that it's the law that you take yourself down to the river Dee and feed the birds. Now on the river there are a nice collection of swans and ducks. However, these are massively outnumbered by pigeons and gulls.
All the birds are well versed in spotting bird feeders. As potential feeders get out of their cars at the riverside, they can very quickly identify a wrapped sliced loaf. Word goes out and by the time you get down the steps, they're waiting!


In particular the gulls are very adept at intercepting bread intended for the swans, mid-air. The swans aren't that bothered as they prefer a nice artisan loaf or at least a decent ciabatta.
The gulls and pigeons are more than happy with a bit of white sliced.



5 comments:

  1. I am with you on sewing this next year! After I get my sewing room organized from moving then I have lots of UFOs to do and start my new blog. I sure like your new pattern! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judith, Glad to hear you're getting back into things. I know you've been busy with the move. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Chester .. its only 40 min drive or 30 mins on the train xx Have to admit I tend to watch as seagulls drive me crazy!! esp when they try to pinch my ice cream!! Glad you had a good time x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, it's only about an hour for me and always a nice day out. Got to keep an eye on those gulls, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gulls are very cheeky birds and they seem to be fearless going after food.

    ReplyDelete