Friday 17 August 2012

A Quilty Pleasure

,
At some point in the 1980's, I went to a gig to see My Bloody Valentine, the punk/rock band, at the Ritz in Manchester. On arrival, we took up the best vantage point, ie. in front of the stage. This particular gig is very memorable because, for once I didn't manage to hold onto spot at the front. The Punks also waiting were extremely aggressive that night and before the band even got on the stage, I was somewhere near the back. Much safer, but not as much fun.
Little did I know that, all these years later, the outcome of that night would stand me in good stead. Why? Well, today I've been to The Festival of Quilts at the NEC, Birmingham. Thousands of middle aged and older ladies, in trainers, flocking around fabric stalls. It was difficult to get a look in - no chance of getting near the front, I'll take my chances with the Punks, any day!

This quilt was very large and very impressive.

I liked this Clarice Cliff inspired quilt.

I've got a thing about House Blocks at the moment, so this really appealed.

A lot of work has gone into this one.

This mini quilt depicting tiny quilts on a washing line was cute.


I even managed to spot this Stash Swap quilt from Diane at The Cheshire Quilter !

I liked the hand made signs telling you not to touch the quilts. They were all different and not necessarily in English.

At the entrance there was a place to vote for your favourite quilt. That was a tough call - traditional, contemporary, art - what to pick? I went for one that hadn't got any accolades from the judges, but I liked it.
A long day, but really interesting. Came back with lots of ideas, some money and a slight feeling of inadequacy.


2 comments: